It would be easy to say that the high cost of traveling these days is due to just one factor: fuel prices, hotel and resort rates, airplane ticket prices, or the cost of food. However, the truth is that the combination of these different factors makes travel financially difficult for many people.
Overall, travel prices from March 2020 to January 2023 increased by more than 15%, and there is no sign that anything will come down soon, especially as inflation lingers.
Forbes predicts that travel prices will remain high, and while some travelers try to snag deals during the off-season, there may not be an off-season for long. This is because many destinations now keep their prices consistent through those months to recoup some of the money lost during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The rise in travel costs doesn’t impact some people nearly as much as others, and many individuals continue to travel. But for the most part, a trend is surging in popularity that is taking the place of traveling for vacations: staycations.
The Top Family Staycation Ideas Everyone Will Love
If you’ve never heard the term “staycation,” you should know that, essentially, the concept is to stay home (or near home) during vacation while relaxing and having fun as opposed to traveling long-distance for a bit of R&R. On a larger scale, it can also mean spending a vacation in your country instead of traveling abroad.
Staycations are perfect for spicing things up, doing something out of the ordinary, and relaxing without the financial strain of traveling. Staycations are popular for many reasons:
- They’re cheaper than traveling
- Less time traveling on the road or in the air
- You have all the conveniences and comforts of home
- There’s more money to spend on activities and food with no travel costs
- The change in routine can promote bonding with family or friends in fun ways
Whether you’re searching for spring break staycation ideas, family staycation ideas, or something “homey” for the summer, the sky is the limit for what you can do during a staycation. All it requires is a little creativity and planning.
The following are a few popular activities to plan while on your next staycation with friends or family:
- A themed movie night with popcorn, drinks, and snacks
- Become an armchair traveler and virtually visit an exotic country
- Set up a decadent dessert bar
- Cook a fancy meal, and have everyone dress to the nines
- Spend time poolside
- Take a tour of your hometown
- Turn your home into a spa wellness retreat
- Pick out board games for a family game night
- Eat a meal or two outside
- Redecorate a room
- Host a home baking or cooking competition
- Dress up and take pictures
- Visit a nearby park or nature preserve
Never underestimate the adventure of backyard camping (don’t forget the propane mosquito traps from companies like Paraco Gas)! You could also take an online course to learn new skills and discover new hobbies.
Make It a Memorable Staycation
Whether you’re looking for ideas to enjoy over spring break, summer break, or even just the weekend, remember that the bottom line is you don’t have to travel far to make memories that will last a lifetime. Save money and put all your effort, imagination, and excitement into your next staycation!