How Is Propane Made? And Other Propane Facts

May 12, 2022 –

If you’re a Paraco customer (or plan to become one), you’re probably already aware of propane’s many benefits and uses.

Here are ten fun facts about propane that you might not have known -– until now:

1. The founder of the propane gas industry was a Pennsylvania native named Walter O. Snelling, who was the first person to identify propane as a volatile component in gasoline. After the discovery, he quickly realized its tremendous potential.

2. Propane’s chemical formula is C3H8.

3. Propane is a non-toxic, colorless gas that is typically odorless. An odorant is added for safety purposes, which smells like rotten eggs.

4. Propane is more compact as a liquid than a gas, so it is more economical to store and transport as a liquid.

5. Propane won’t ignite when combined with air until the ignition source reaches 940 degrees Fahrenheit, making it safe to transport in tanks.

6. Propane is one of the lightest, simplest hydrocarbons in the universe, and it is one of the cleanest-burning fossil fuels.

7. Propane is the only alternative fuel listed in the 1990 Clean Air Act (CAA) and the National Energy Policy Act of 1992.

8. Propane is produced as a byproduct of crude oil refining and natural gas processing.

9. The propane you buy is not 100% propane gas; it is about 90% propane, plus odorant, propylene, and about 9% butane.

10. Nearly 90% of the US propane production is domestic, with most of the remaining 10% coming from Canada or Mexico.

We all know that knowledge is power. To learn more about propane’s many benefits for your home or business, contact us today.


  1. Oscar Morrison on January 8, 2020 at 8:36 am

    It’s interesting to know that because of propane’s composition, it doesn’t produce contaminants and isn’t considered a greenhouse gas. My wife and I have been thinking of moving to a property that’s powered by a propane tank, but we were worried about the environmental impact. Hearing what propane is like, maybe it’s not as dangerous to the environment as we had thought.

  2. Vivian Black on January 9, 2020 at 9:07 pm

    I never knew that propane is nontoxic, colorless, and virtually odorless. My husband and I are looking for a propane tank installation service to install our propane tank at our new home. We will keep these facts in mind and get the professional help we need.

  3. Sabrina Addams on January 21, 2020 at 9:49 am

    It was fun to learn that propane won’t ignite once it meets oxygen until it reaches 940 degrees F and is 270 times more compact as a liquid, which is why it’s safe to deliver. My husband was looking into hiring a propane delivery service for us this winter since we use it a lot for our home and other gadgets. I’ll pass on these facts to him to learn more about propane.

  4. Kate Hansen on March 16, 2020 at 4:23 pm

    I never knew that it is non-toxic! My husband and I have been thinking about using propane to heat our home in a couple of weeks, and I wanted to learn more about it and how it works and the benefits of it. I really appreciate you helping me learn more about propane!

  5. Zachary Tomlinson on April 21, 2020 at 2:12 am

    Thanks for helping me learn more about propane and how it’s usually used. I’ve been watching a couple of industrial-related documentaries lately and they mention propane gas a lot. I had no idea that most of the propane si produced domestically and it’s more compact as a liquid than as a gas. My dad is considering switching into the propane-powered stove and I should probably share this with him so he’d learn more about propane.

  6. Elle Jones on August 1, 2023 at 2:50 pm

    I appreciate you educating me on propane and its typical applications. Recently, I’ve been viewing a few industrial-related documentaries, and propane gas is frequently mentioned in them. I had no knowledge that the majority of propane is locally produced and that it is more combustible as a liquid than as a gas. I should probably share this with my dad because he’s thinking about moving to a gas-powered stove and needs to know more about propane.

  7. Lily Bridgers on February 9, 2024 at 5:05 pm

    It’s intriguing to learn that propane doesn’t emit pollutants and isn’t regarded as a greenhouse gas due to its makeup. My spouse and I have been considering relocating to a propane-powered property, but we were concerned about the potential environmental effects. Considering what propane is like, perhaps it isn’t as harmful to the environment as previously believed.

Leave a Comment