If you’re a Paraco customer (or plan to become one), you’re probably already aware of propane’s many benefits and uses.
Here are ten fun facts about propane that you might not have known -– until now:
1. The founder of the propane gas industry was a Pennsylvania native named Walter O. Snelling, who was the first person to identify propane as a volatile component in gasoline. After the discovery, he quickly realized its tremendous potential.
2. Propane’s chemical formula is C3H8.
3. Propane is a non-toxic, colorless gas that is typically odorless. An odorant is added for safety purposes, which smells like rotten eggs.
4. Propane is more compact as a liquid than a gas, so it is more economical to store and transport as a liquid.
5. Propane won’t ignite when combined with air until the ignition source reaches 940 degrees Fahrenheit, making it safe to transport in tanks.
6. Propane is one of the lightest, simplest hydrocarbons in the universe, and it is one of the cleanest-burning fossil fuels.
7. Propane is the only alternative fuel listed in the 1990 Clean Air Act (CAA) and the National Energy Policy Act of 1992.
8. Propane is produced as a byproduct of crude oil refining and natural gas processing.
9. The propane you buy is not 100% propane gas; it is about 90% propane, plus odorant, propylene, and about 9% butane.
10. Nearly 90% of the US propane production is domestic, with most of the remaining 10% coming from Canada or Mexico.
We all know that knowledge is power. To learn more about propane’s many benefits for your home or business, contact us today.